"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Is my extension-like library allowed to be used in answers?

Parent

Is my extension-like library allowed to be used in answers?

+2
−0

I'm not a golfer, I know, but I do have wanted to make a programming language back then. The name is BMPL (Builder's Multi-Purpose Language) and is currently a library I made in C (clang). It's not essentially for golfing or even an esoteric language, but a simple to understand and basic syntax language which I have planned months ago that was never accomplished. Instead, I spent my time making functions for the language and it's what you have in that repository.

I want to use this library for a "Hello, World!" answer which is some simple code:

main(){say("Hello, World!")}

And I've been wondering if I could even post such thing.

Question: Can I answer using this in-progress non-golfing language that's only a library right now (and would stay that way unless I got to know how to make a real compiler)?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Library feedback (3 comments)
library link is broken (2 comments)
−1

If you actually use the library, sure, I guess. How you are going to get it running on online compilers, I have no idea. It's very uninteresting for others to view some code using a custom library though... you'd be golfing "single player".

Your answer here is doesn't use the library and is against the rules IMO:

https://codegolf.codidact.com/posts/279147?sort=age&page=1#answer-282484

Because you don't use some library, you just defined a function-like macro and then don't count characters in that macro. That can obviously not be alloweded, or otherwise I can easily beat you:

C (clang), 1 byte

M

Try it online!

The only sensible rule is that all C contributions using macros have to post the macro as part of the counted code.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

Golfing languages (4 comments)
General (2 comments)
Golfing languages
dzaima‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Pretty much nothing in this answer applies to libraries but not golfing languages. Golfing languages can too "cheat" by having builtins that immediately solve the challenge, and golfing languages are (at least in their start) used by just one person.

Adding a library to C results in a new language as far as scoring goes, so it's not competing with C at all, just as much as C doesn't compete with Python, for example

Lundin‭ wrote over 2 years ago

dzaima‭ Except it is listed as C (clang). And with the new scoreboard system, it bumps away all solutions that are actually C (clang).

dzaima‭ wrote over 2 years ago

It's listed as the language "C (clang) + BMPL". The leaderboard counting it under C is a problem though.

Razetime‭ wrote over 2 years ago

since the leaderboard notices the + as a flag addition, it may be better to have a naming convention replacing such a thing with - or :