Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Sandbox

Comments on Speedrunning "Big Iron" [cancelled]

Speedrunning "Big Iron" [cancelled]

+0
−2

Background

The inspiration of this challenge came from this video. The premise was to speedrun the song while still keeping the story intact. In the video, the lyrics go:

To the town
Rode a ranger
Had a big iron on his hip
He came to kill an outlaw by the name of Texas Red
Swift ranger shot the outlaw
THE END

I dare you to speedrun it too.

Challenge

For the first time, a fastest-code challenge in Code Golf CD. Create a program that prints out the above codeblock's text, the fastest you could. The winning criterion is the shortest run time by the Sys. time in TIO. Fastest running program wins!

For double-checking, run the program a few times, I'd say 5, then record the shortest time it could run.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

Feedback (2 comments)
I don't think fastest-code kolmogorov complexity makes sense... there really is almost nothing intere... (1 comment)
Feedback
Lundin‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

General Sebast1an‭ I think the fastest code is an interesting idea, though for this to work out we'd have to come up with a standardized way to benchmark the code, preferably online in TIO. That probably means that challenges will be restricted to one particular language. Ideally, all answers are expected to provide a function solution and the challenge provides the benchmarking code and function calling code. Also, that benchmarking should ideally not depend on server load etc - I have no idea how reliable benchmarking on remote online compilers is. TIO does display some manner of execution time at the bottom.

General Sebast1an‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Lundin‭ I'd like to have a fastest-code challenge in the site, though as someone who's poopy on making challenges, someone else can think of something. Speaking of those execution time displays, which do you think is the number that manners? We'll need to define that in future challenges. Also, maybe it makes sense for it to stay on one proglang than varieties of such, as it can lead to some unfair submissions.